Virtual self-learning course on climate-resilient water safety plans - 2023
1. DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE
The course Climate Resilient Water Safety Plans is a learning program that aims to provide theoretical and practical tools to develop a Climate Resilient Water Safety Plan, identify hazards exacerbated by impacts on climate variability and change, and incorporate integrated water resources management (IWRM) and disaster risk reduction (DRR) management to CR-WSP methodology from the point of catchment, treatment, and distribution basin to the place of consumption.
The course has been organized in 11 modules grouped into 5 components that address the main topics of the Climate-Resilient Water Safety Plan Methodology. As an introduction to the course, we have created a Module 0 in which you will find everything you need to know about the course: its main objectives, structure, and navigation.
In the platform, you will find the resources for each module and its corresponding sections. These include interactive lessons complemented with case studies and readings. Also, at the end of each section, you will find a summary and a quiz. You will also find forum activities at the start and closing of the course.
As a self-paced course, you will not have tutors or an established deadline. Therefore, you will be able to access the contents and complete the course at your own pace.
To start with the course, please review the content on module 0, called "Start Here". In this module, you will find the "How to Navigate the Course" document, where you will find all the guidance you need to complete the course successfully. Also, you will find the Concept Map, Glossary, "Tell us about you" forum, and the introductory module "Why Climate Resilient Water Safety Plans".
We encourage you to actively participate in the course and reflect on the topics. The learning resources are meant for this purpose and constitute a valuable tool to contextualize your learning with real-life examples of experiences, programs, cases, and relevant documents. Also, to complement your self-learning experience, we invite you to interact with your peers in the forums.
2. LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Upon completing all the activities of the course, you will be able to:
- Facilitate the development and implementation of water safety plans and detailed risk management methodology for drinking water suppliers, considering variability and climate change.
- Identify the steps to implement CR-WSP and provide technical services to public and private institutions.
- Ensure good operating practices in the water supply systems for human consumption considering the impacts exacerbated by climate changes.
3. TARGET AUDIENCE AND PREREQUISITES
The Climate Resilient Water Safety Plans is aimed at local providers of drinking water services and health personnel who carry out surveillance and monitoring activities of the water supply system.
To take part in the course, you will need:
- A computer or mobile device with access to the Internet. We recommend having updated versions of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge.
- Headphones, since some interactive lessons have voice-over narration.
4. ESTIMATED COURSE DURATION
We estimate that you should dedicate around 40 hours to complete all the course activities, including the quizzes.