Self-learning course: Clinical Diagnosis and Management of Dengue
Dengue is a viral infectious disease. It represents one of the main reasons for medical consultation in health units in the countries and territories of the Americas. Early clinical recognition and diagnosis of the disease and timely and appropriate treatment can mean the difference between life and death for those who suffer from the disease. It is therefore necessary for the medical personnel be properly trained and sensitized in the management of suspected or confirmed dengue.
This first online course is geared at helping healthcare workers in diagnosing and managing all aspects of dengue in order to avoid complications and fatalities.
This course was developed with a comprehensive vision. It is divided into seven modules that include:
- Epidemiological information on dengue,
- Pathophysiology of clinical manifestations,
- Clinical and differential diagnosis,
- Severity classification,
- Recommendations for the management of dengue according to its severity and
- Managing patients with comorbidities.
In addition, the course offers basic aspects of the organization and reorganization of health services during dengue epidemics, which also plays an important role in saving lives.
We want this course to be of benefit to all health personnel involved in the care of dengue cases. Once the knowledge acquired at the end of the course is implemented, the greatest beneficiaries are children, pregnant women, adults, and older adults affected by this disease.
The purpose of this course is to provide health personnel in charge of treating suspected dengue cases with the necessary information to make a timely clinical diagnosis and offer proper clinical management, avoiding the progression to severe forms and deaths caused by this disease.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the epidemiology of dengue.
- Describe the pathophysiological features of dengue.
- Recognize the clinical manifestations of dengue and make a differential diagnosis.
- Define the case, recognize the warning signs, and classify according to the severity of dengue.
- Apply the recommendations for the treatment of dengue according to its severity.
- Know the main aspects of dengue associated with comorbidities and special conditions.
- Explain the need and the means for reorganizing health services during a dengue outbreak.
The course is aimed at specialist physicians, general practitioners, nurses, as well as medical and nursing students, and all personnel who in one way or another are involved in the care of patients with suspected dengue. Persons at all level/spectrum of healthcare may take the course, especially those at the primary care level.
20 hours, approximately.
Self-learning course, free of charge, open to the public and without deadlines to complete it.
The modules should be reviewed sequentially
- Module of Introduction
- Module 1: Epidemiology of Dengue
- Module 2: Pathophysiology of clinical manifestations
- Module 3: Clinical Manifestations
- Module 4: Case definition and severity classification
- Module 5: Recommendations for treatment
- Module 6: Dengue associated with comorbidities and special conditions
- Module 7: Organization and reorganization of health services